Claims & Accidents
What to do in a car accident?
No one likes to be in this situation, and it's a relief when you know exactly what to do if it happens.
The following list tells you what steps to take if you're in a car accident:
- Ensure everyone in the vehicle is safe and not injured. Call 911 if medical help is required.
- Check the other driver; make sure they’re safe too.
- Do not admit fault, regardless of what happened. Your insurance company must establish this.
- Write down the names and addresses of any witnesses who were not involved in the accident. This helps your insurance company determine fault.
- Obtain the other driver’s:
- Phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Insurance company name and policy number
- License plate number
- Provide the same information to the other driver.
- Call the police if damage is over $2,000.
- If the damage is under $2,000, report the accident at the nearest police station.
Download free: Accident Checklist and Report